19.4.24

Living with Neuralgia: My Journey Through Chronic Pain



Living with chronic pain is a journey that tests both body and mind. As someone who has battled neuralgia , I’ve experienced first-hand the debilitating effects that relentless pain can have on every aspect of life.


Neuralgia, a type of nerve pain that sends sharp, stabbing, or burning sensations typically along a damaged nerve, is an invisible tormentor. The pain is not just physical; it takes a toll on your emotional and mental well-being. For me, stress significantly exacerbates the pain. It's a vicious cycle: pain increases stress levels, which in turn leads to more pain. I often describe the nerve pain in my head feeling like my head is made of steel, and it is burning hot. 


One of the most challenging aspects of dealing with neuralgia is finding effective treatment. The health system often leans towards pharmacological solutions, which might not always address the individual nuances of chronic pain. This has led me, like many others, to explore the legal, or non legal use of narcotics for pain management. While effective to a degree, these solutions come with their own set of challenges, including the risk of dependency.


In my search for relief, I have turned towards mindfulness and the practice of equanimity . Mindfulness meditation has been a refuge; it helps manage the emotional fallout of chronic pain. Practicing mindfulness means being present with pain without judgment, observing the sensations as they are. This approach does not eliminate pain, but it helps change my relationship with it, making it more manageable.


There are moments when the intensity of the pain seems unbearable, when my mind turns to rumination and obsessive thoughts, trapping me in a loop that feels impossible to escape. During these times, my schizophrenia intersects with my neuralgia in ways that amplify both my physical and psychological suffering. It becomes a challenge not just to treat the pain but to maintain mental stability.

 "I'm getting intrusive thoughts about my brain inside my head"

No comments:

Post a Comment

I think the older I get, the more psycho I get.

  Max Cavalera